Thursday, August 2, 2018

On The Road Again

Pennsylvania Farmland
Thursday, Aug. 2, 2018

Well, my amazing husband was able to fix our refrigerator yesterday--a lot of cleaning of electronic connections seems to have done the trick. By the end of the day, we'd packed all our clothes and "paperwork" (everything from maps, itineraries, and planned stops, as well as odd things like a map of the Michigan State campus (for parking at the game), confirmations of campground reservations, etc.) Unfortunately, we left most of the food packing for today. And because insufficient attention was paid to the standard packing list, we forgot a lot of things, like my special tea (no one carries it in the stores, I have to order it online), self-rising flour (biscuits! And we have SO MUCH of it at home!), and Krazy Mixed Up Salt, our standard go-to condiment, plus a number of other things. Yes, most of it can be purchsed on our way, but I just HATE buying things I already have more than enough of!

We pulled out at almost exactly noon, as is usual, and almost immediately hit the first of several very heavy downpours. However, we didn't encounter any accidents, only huge trucks trying their best to cause some. These things are SCARY-- a truck came within inches of us as we merged from I-287 onto I-78. However, we avoided any real dangers, and just made good time most of the day. We stopped at 2pm for an hour for some lunch, and again about an hour or so later for gas, but otherwise, we just drove through Pennsylvania. This time I actually took some photos-- we saw some stunning clouds, and of course that green farmland is so beautiful. We also saw a lot more trucks-- I think the ratio of trucks to cars was really 1/1.
Clouds after the Rain

Trucks in my Rear View Mirror
At around 7pm, we ran into construction traffic at mile 53 of I-80 in PA. It was frustrating because we had decided not to stop today for the groceries we need, and we would have arrived at our planned destination at maybe 8:30-- quite early! But what with the delay, it was 9:30 by the time we pulled into our favorite Ohio Turnpike stop, the Portage Service Plaza. They have a small RV section with about a dozen RV slots, including electricity, for $20. If it were cooler, we'd probably just take a free slot with the big trucks, but we wanted our AC tonight, and besides, there is also a free dump, which we need to avail ourselves of tomorrow (I can never understand why we always leave home with full waste tanks!)

In any case, we are comfortable tucked in, I put away a lot of stuff which had been loaded on board but not put away yet, made the bed, and Joe took Cassie for a walk. He's now sound asleep, and I am going to quickly (I hope) upload a few photos and go to bed also. I didn't get to sleep too early last night, and we have a lot of driving tomorrow again. But we are on our way, and that's always great!

1 comment:

Ahuva Heliosense said...

Too funny! I happened to check out Life360 just as you were passing by State College, PA. :) I'm loving the greenness of the northeast after the sandness of Tempe. Enjoy the rain and humidity. :)