Friday, April 30, 2021

Birthday Activities

 

Thursday April 29, 2021  

I think the was the first time we have been camping during my birthday! I had limited ability to check online-- other than my phone, we were not having success with the Internet. But with my phone I was able to see a lot of birthday wishes from Facebook friends, emails and text messages from my sister and sister-in-law, and get phone calls from lots of people, even from as far away as Israel! So I was feeling the love all day, especially when I finally was able to pick up and watch the Marco Polo video of Beth, Joe, and Juniper singing Happy Birthday to me.
 

In between the phone calls etc, Joe and I had a  very nice day in Lewes. We started off by taking the Jeep to explore the park. The museum and observation tower were closed, but we discovered the beautiful beach at the end of the park road. The weather was already in the high 70s even though it was still morning, and it was definitely a beach day! On the other hand, we didn’t have any sun protection, and Joe is not a beach person anyway. So we just satisfied ourselves by walking down onto the sand, and were delighted to see a pod of dolphins feeding right off shore. (We did not get photos.) But speaking of sun protection, we made the ride more fun all day by taking the roof off the Jeep.

Cape Henlopen Beach

From there, we drove out of the park and into downtown, “historic” Lewes. Lewes has a big welcome sign saying that it was “the first town in the First State.” The town is delightful, with many old homes lining the streets. Because we had no idea where to go, we just drove around town. We made a mistake by not stopping at the Lewes Historical Society, which had its door open, and I am still regretting that (Joe suggested we stop, but I didn’t make up my mind fast enough.) At that point, in turning right and left at random, we managed to get ourselves a bit lost, and my usual excellent sense of direction only managed to make it worse. We stopped at a Rite Aid to pick up camera batteries, but I didn’t think to ask the woman which way to turn to get back to the center of town, and of course we went the wrong way. We finally resorted to our phone maps to get us back to our campsite.


After lunch, we hung out for a little bit, I talked to Beth, and then around 3pm we set out again to find some ice cream. We had picked out Hopkins Farm Creamery, which was about 10 miles or so away, as being our most likely bet for something yummy, and we were right! After driving past the cows themselves, and inhaling the unmistakable perfume of manure, we came to the Creamery. People were lined up to order and were waiting for their ice creams, but everyone was being very good about distancing and masks. Joe got the no-sugar-added vanilla, and I got peanut butter ripple and chocolate brownie. The ice cream was VERY creamy and good, and exactly what we’d been looking for. One funny thing was, I was wearing my hat with all the National Park pins on it. The girl taking our order asked, "Have you been to all those parks?" It was cute to answer Yes, but when she asked how many more we had to go, it was hard to estimate. We've been to a LOT of National Parks... and I can't wait to add another one or two in the fall, if we are lucky.

From there, we retraced our steps back to the park again, and I plopped myself in a chair with my book and a drink for a while until dinner. Joe made us a delicious steak, along with the fancy ravioli I had picked up a couple of days earlier, and for dessert I had my special slice of my sister’s incredible chocolate pecan pie, which she doles out to me for special occasions. It came along in the refrigerator on our vacation, and boy was it yummy!

After that, I read some more, and we went to bed fairly early. All in all, we didn’t do anything super special, but it was a very nice quiet birthday and I felt very happy with how the day had gone. And I do think I have some sunburn  to prove it!