Sunday, September 2, 2007

On the road at last!

Sept. 1, 2007:

Wow—we really did it—we’re on the way! I am writing this sitting at the table (Yes, I am wearing a seatbelt, LOL!) as Mo travels someplace southeast of Pittsburgh at 5:30 pm. True, in my naïve imagination we would have been passing through here hours ago, but I am not complaining. It is a glorious day, sunny, not too hot, low humidity, and the scenery is gorgeous. WE ARE HAPPY!!!
The last two days have been intense, with Joe working like a crazy person to get “flat” on his paperwork, while simultaneously downloading software into our new travelling laptop, investigating the mysterious doings of Mo’s electrical system (he found a loose wire which was apparently the cause of the blown fuses), and installing most of a “universal” electronic cruise control unit (no, it is not completely installed yet, and we are travelling without it.) I, meanwhile, was packing, juggling money to cover a month’s worth of home and office bills, shopping with Bobbie (visiting for the week from Israel), and, finally, schlepping everything out into Mo and figuring out where it would all go. Beth came home to help out, kiss us goodbye, and take my car back to school for the month. The good news is, everything is safely stowed, we have sufficient space, and so far we seem to have only forgotten a couple of minor, easily acquirable items.
The drive has been, dare I say it, smooth so far, and we saw our first wildlife already! Yes, no sooner had we driven literally around the corner from our own home, when we saw a deer standing stock still in the middle of the street at 10:30 a.m. LOL! Who needs Yellowstone when you have suburban NJ?
So far the only wifi encounter has been at Flying J where we stopped for gas, but they wanted us to pay for it. I am not sinking that low yet (and anyway, I hadn’t written anything to upload!) But now that I’ve written, the search is worthwhile. Oh, the agony! As I wrote that, Joe pulled into another Flying J. I wonder if there is anyone down the road with free wifi??

No comments: